Saturday, December 12, 2009

over the edge

You just know this isn't going to end well as soon as you see it.



One of the Sisters of St. Faith is going to take a dive off that cliff, and it won't be the flying nun.

None-the-less, "Black Narcissus" is a beautiful movie.

A few posts ago I wrote about the film "Four Feathers" that looked not like other films of the time. "Black Narcissus" is famous for not looking like other movies of the time. It's a Technicolor© movie that does not try to contain a rainbow in every frame.

I've read that "3-strip" Technicolor© sometimes didn't get the color elements aligned properly. This is the first time I've actually seen the fringing on a DVD.





My big screen projection TV does that. I'm going to tell people it's really just the Technicolor© acting up.

"Black Narcissus" is also famous for its many matte and background paintings. Believe it or not, the guy who painted the matte shot at the top also did the painting in this shot for Méliès 45 years before.




I caught this movie because of comments about the cinematographer, Jack Cardiff, on animation artist Jenny Lerew's blog. Go there to read more.

Mind the cliff, though.

No comments: