Wednesday, December 16, 2009

a nose for the cinema


The guy with the poodle pelt on his head is Abraham Sofaer playing a judge in heaven in A Matter of Life and Death (1946). He's got the biggest nose I've ever seen in a movie not attached to an elephant or Jimmy Durante. I guess that was the film makers' way of saying God is Jewish.

If you have some red-blue glasses you can even see him in 3D in these views I reconstructed from frames off the DVD.




I don't know if this was intended as a wink at the whole nose thing, but in the very next shot this guy...




... just has to scratch his nose while the judge speaks.


A Matter of Life and Death is another movie cinematographed by Jack Cardiff, mentioned in my last post, and yet another movie that does not look like other movies of the time.

No comments: