Friday, April 25, 2008

a hard-luck story

I answered my front door this afternoon and there was a younger 20 or 30-ish woman there. She was dressed in too-tight short shorts, sandals and a tank top and was holding an uninterruptible power supply and a large wire brush.

She asked if I knew what they were and if I might want to buy them from from her. She went on to explain that she needed the money because her boyfriend who had brought her here from St. Louis a few weeks ago had taken her to a liquor store, sent her in to buy something and then drove off.

I felt like an extra in one of those post-war Italian neo-realist films. That could be the plot for one. They basically go like this: something bad happens to someone, he spends the rest of the film trying to solve the problem, but doesn't.

No comments: