Thursday, January 17, 2008

West losing crazy-race


Just when I thought Western Civilization could at least claim supremacy in mounting ineffective shows of humanitarian concern (like fun-runs for breast cancer, dancing for Katrina victims and pop songs for hunger), one of Osama bin Laden's 19 sons has announced he wants to promote peace between Islam and the West with... a horse race across North Africa.

The image of a horde of arabs on horseback will dispel any doubts about the culture's modernity. And even if the media doesn't flock to cover this event, I can't think of a better place to find backwards Americans ready to have their attitudes set straight than THE SAHARA DESERT.



Nineteen sons! The bin Ladens must be pretty well-heeled. If any of them are reading this it would be fab if one of you could order me a copy of the new Popeye DVD collection which includes "Popeye the Sailor Meets Ali Baba's Forty Thieves". That would be good for me to watch in fully restored color. I've got it on my Amazon wish list.

Thanks in advance!