Monday, January 07, 2008

Duckless

When I had a Cadillac it had ducks and fins on it. Now you don't even get ducks with your Cadillac.


I bet somewhere in Detroit there's an executive who got a bonus for finding a way to save 37¢ on every 100 cars by losing the ducks.

You think I'm kidding. Back in the automobile golden age interior trim pieces were held on with screws and nuts and lock washers. But sometime in the 70's they figured they could shave a little off the manufacturing cost of each car (and I'm talking pennies here) by using plastic push fasteners. It was a revolution in assembly line technology but after a few cold winters the plastic fasteners would crack and stop holding things together.

I remember riding with my manager once in his 1978 Cadillac Seville. He gets in, grabs the armrest to pull the door closed and the whole interior side of the door comes off in his hand.