Sunday, March 12, 2006

Long Load Time

One day at my old job a co-worker complained that a video in one of our multimedia things was taking too long to load.

"Almost 30 seconds!" he said.

I told him to get happy with it. "Back when I was a boy... we had to wait six months for a movie to get from downtown theaters to the theater in the suburb where we lived."


2001: A Space Odyssey was one of those rare exceptions I can recall from childhood where the whole family went down to St. Paul to see a movie, including my dad, who generally does not believe in such entertainments.

We were dumbfounded by it, but for the next four years I was building spaceships with robot arms out of cardboard boxes in the basement.

When I tell people about 10 years younger than I that 2001 made a huge impression on me, they don't get it. They can't imagine watching a space movie that has no light sabers, no weird aliens, and no X-wings.

I don't do much 3D modeling but I did make this spacepod last year.

1 comment:

Zach Brewster-Geisz said...

2001 freaked me out for about ten years, mostly because of the Star-Child.